Friday, October 17, 2008

So long Springfield!



No, I'm not moving out of the capitol city but I am letting go of something that has been a part of my life for almost 25 years. Guiding Light. The fictional Springfield and those living in it have been a part of my life for so long that it became such a routine to watch the show. I started watching when I was a little girl. Mom was hooked on CBS soap operas and I too quickly became interested. Ever since I have been taping the show, everyday. I'm not sure why. The lives of the Spauldings, Coopers, Bauers and Lewis's became so real. It was almost as if I knew each of the characters personally.

The story lines are so unbelievable sometimes. I remember way back when Reva was cloned. The new Reva was born and was aging at a rapid pace. I remember when Edmund wanted Cassie to have a baby so bad that he stalked a very pregnant Michelle Bauer only to kidnap her, make her go into labor, deliver her baby and play it off as his adopted daughter. I remember watching every episode of Philip going crazy.

The last few years the show has gone a bit downhill on the story lines. Sure, it's a soap opera so most of the story lines are a bit unrealistic. But they started to get worse. This past year or so there hasn't been a real good nail biting story line. Also, the producers have been shooting the soap with a handheld camera -everyday. So it looks like you are watching a home movie all the time, I never got used to the new camera work.

I am sad to let go of something I have loved for so long. I finally erased the continuous recording on my DVR, it's gone. It's been a bit over a week now since I've watched and as of yet I don't miss it. Probably because it became a chore to watch it everyday, and even then I would fast forward through most of the show.

So to the Cooper's, Bauer's, Spaulding's & Lewis's, I'm going to miss you. I'm going to miss my favorite character, Buzz. I'm going to miss the cheesy lines and jokes. I'm going to miss Dina and her wonderful hair and clothes. I'm going to miss Billy and his everyday struggle as a recovering alchoholic. I'm going to miss Reva and Josh and the way she calls him "Bud." So...until we meet again (or until Jonathan Randall returns) Bye-Bye Springfield!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still in shock about this. One question: Did Holly ever get the Dow Syndrome baby back??? Just wondering...

Anonymous said...

PS: I love how the tag on this post says "soap oprahs"

ahaha!